Easy Pie Crust Recipe
Even novice bakers who shy away from homemade pie pastry can't go wrong with this recipe. It is easy to roll out and produces a tender, flaky crust every time.
- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle with vinegar. Gradually add the milk, tossing with a fork until a ball is formed. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. For a single crust, roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe directions.
- 3. For a double crust, divide pastry in two portions so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake according to recipe directions. Yield: pastry for a single- or double-crust pie (9 or 10 inches).
1/8 of a single pie pastry equals 132 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 76 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Easy Pie Crust
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC