Since we live in a rural area where there really aren't any restaurants to speak of, I thought it would be fun to come up with my take on this classic sandwich at home. So effortless and delicious, grab a bottle of steak sauce to top them off for an extra bolt of flavor. —Lenette A. Bennett, Como, Colorado
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 medium sweet red or green peppers, halved and sliced
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into thin strips
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 hoagie buns, split
- 12 slices provolone cheese, halved
- Pickled hot cherry peppers, optional
- Place onions and red peppers in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add beef, soup mix and broth. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Arrange buns on a baking sheet, cut side up. Using tongs, place meat mixture on bun bottoms; top with cheese.
- Broil 2-3 in. from heat 30-60 seconds or until cheese is melted and bun tops are toasted. If desired, serve with cherry peppers. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Easy Philly Cheesesteaks in Simple & Delicious August/September 2013, p48
Reviews for Easy Philly Cheesesteaks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review