Easy Oven Stew
Meet the Cook: Because I've never entered a recipe contest before, I hesitated before sending my stew in. I knew, though, it not only was so good but anybody could make it. You just throw the ingredients into a pot and stir!
I've been cooking 40 years. My husband and I have one grown daughter.
-Carol Smith, Stuart, Florida
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours, or until the meat and vegetables
- are tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with reduced-sodium beef broth and tomato sauce and without added salt) equals 230 calories, 6 g fat (0 saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 401 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.