"As a wife and mother on a busy farm, I like family-pleasing recipes that are simple," says May Anderson of De Valls Bluff, Arkansas. "This is a favorite of ours that came from Liz Cazer, a member of the local 4-H club that I lead."
Recommended: 30 Mexican Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, water, rice, garlic salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spanish Rice in Quick Cooking September/October 2004, p40
Reviews forEasy Mexican Rice
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 25, 2009
"this recipe is so good"
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2008
"I love spanish rice! I recommend using Mexican style tomatoes with green chilies and Mexican style cheese or cheddar rather than mozzarella. With those changes, YUM!"