Easy Low-Fat Chili
"This zesty chili really hits the spot on cool fall days," confirms Janet Moore of Ogdensburg, New York.
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-salt diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) salt-free tomato paste
- 2 to 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion and green pepper in 1/2 cup water
- until tender. Add beans, tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir in chili
- powder, salt if desired, pepper and remaining water; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Yield: 7
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared without added salt) equals 2 starch, 1-1/2 vegetable; also, 198 calories, 295 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 38 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm protein, 1 gm fat.