Easy Lasagna in a Bun Recipe
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 hoagie buns
- 3/4 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, soup mix, basil and oregano. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Cut a thin slice off the top of each bun. Carefully hollow out bun bottoms, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese; spoon into buns. Top with meat mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Replace bun tops.
- 4. Wrap each sandwich in heavy-duty foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 sandwich equals 351 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 753 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.