Easy Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup uncooked orzo or acini di pepe pasta
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, parsley, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. meatballs.
- 2. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, beans and spinach. Stir in pasta, meatballs and remaining salt and pepper.
- 4. Cook until spinach is tender and meatballs are heated through. Garnish with remaining Parmesan cheese. Yield: 7 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 205 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 1,024 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.