Easy Italian Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1-1/4 pounds uncooked ground round
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Combine crumbs and water; let stand for 5 minutes. Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. Combine meat, onion, celery, tomato sauce, mushrooms, garlic and pepper. Stir in crumb mixture.
- 2. Spread into an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with peas and carrots. Drain the potatoes; mash with cheese. Spread over vegetables, sealing to pan. Bake at 375° for 45-60 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 398 calories, 11g fat (0 saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 976mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.