Easy Italian Chicken
A hearty Italian dish that's a lovely fresh tasting main course you can serve with pride and without fuss. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are convenient to thaw and cook quickly.Joan Rose, Langley, British Columbia
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken for 5-6
- minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, combine the tomatoes,
- mushrooms, basil and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Combine
- cornstarch and water; gradually add to tomato mixture. Cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve chicken with spaghetti; top
- with tomato sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with no-salt-added stewed tomatoes and calculated without spaghetti) equals 177 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 178 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as