Easy Italian Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, mushrooms, basil and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water; gradually add to tomato mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve chicken with spaghetti; top with tomato sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared with no-salt-added stewed tomatoes and calculated without spaghetti) equals 177 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 178 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.