Easy Italian Bread Salad
For a fresh-tasting side dish, Kathleen serves Italian Bread Salad. "This pretty blend is a snap to prepare.
"For variety add whatever veggies you like, such as green or yellow peppers, zucchini, summer squash or sliced olives," she suggests.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 slices Italian or French bread (1 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 2 to 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Lettuce leaves
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Brush both sides of bread with 1 tablespoon oil. Place on a baking
- sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or
- until lightly browned. Cut into 1-in. cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes, tomatoes, cucumber, onions and
- cheese. Divide among four lettuce-lined salad plates. In a small
- bowl, whisk the vinegar, garlic, basil and remaining oil. Drizzle
- over salads. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without lettuce) equals 176 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.