Easy Hungarian Goulash Soup Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups cubed peeled rutabagas
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown beef in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove beef; drain drippings. Heat remaining oil in the same pan; saute onions for 8-10 minutes over medium heat or until lightly browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add the paprika, caraway, pepper, cayenne and salt if desired; cook and stir 1 minute. Return beef to pan. Add broth, potatoes, carrots and rutabagas; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender and meat is almost tender.
- 3. Add tomatoes and red pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30-40 minutes or until meat is tender. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 15 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without salt and sour cream) equals 185 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Easy Hungarian Goulash Soup
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.