Easy Homemade Pickles
My husband grows cucumbers, garlic and dill in the garden and eagerly waits for me to make these pickles. The recipe comes from my grandmother.Angela Lienhard, Blossburg, Pennsylvania
84 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 14 pickling cucumbers
- 40 fresh dill sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
- Cut each cucumber lengthwise into six spears. In a large bowl,
- combine the cucumbers, dill and garlic; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir just until sugar is dissolved. Pour over cucumber
- mixture; cool.
- Transfer to jars if desired and cover tightly. Refrigerate for at
- least 24 hours. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Yield:
- 4-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pickle equals 4 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free Food.