Lunches on the run will be a little tastier with this hot and hearty beef and barley soup. “The recipe is very simple to prepare,” notes Mary Prior of St. Paul, Minnesota.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add celery, carrots, barley, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Let stand 5 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Easy Hamburger Soup in Light & Tasty August/September 2006, p28
Reviews for Easy Hamburger Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review