- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add celery, carrots, barley, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Let stand 5 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Easy Hamburger Soup
"This soup is delicious! I add a little garlic because I love it. I add ground peppercorns to taste instead of using whole ones. I top the soup when serving with shredded reduced fat cheddar to get cheeseburger soup. It is awesome and my family loves it."
"Very yummy and easy to make. Really enjoyed this recipe."
"i would cook it in a slowcooker."
"I've been making this for the past 4 years and it never fails to please me! I make exactly as the recipe reads except I use regular barley and add it when the vegetables are simmering for 45 minutes. I also use my tea infuser ball to hold the peppercorns instead of cheesecloth."
"this is a great soup, I added some green peppers from our garden and it was great.Im sharing this with my kids(4)thanks dimplesahli"