Easy Hamburger Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Add celery, carrots, barley, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- 3. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Let stand 5 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/3 cup: 227 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 762mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Easy Hamburger Soup
"Very yummy and easy to make. Really enjoyed this recipe."
"i would cook it in a slowcooker."
"I've been making this for the past 4 years and it never fails to please me! I make exactly as the recipe reads except I use regular barley and add it when the vegetables are simmering for 45 minutes. I also use my tea infuser ball to hold the peppercorns instead of cheesecloth."
"this is a great soup, I added some green peppers from our garden and it was great.Im sharing this with my kids(4)thanks dimplesahli"
"This recipe is super. I used buffalo ground meat, which has no fat. I also cooked the celery with the meat and added two cloves of garlic with the onion. Great. Thanks."
"ground beef..Onions, celery till browned.(same amount as receipe above).Add 5 c water. salt and pepper to taste, then add 1 lb. bag frozen mixed vegetables, and cubes of potatoes.(about 4 med) Simmer till all is cooked and you can either use for soup or thicken with flour and water and use it for hamburger stew. Been a long time favorite for my kids and grandkids.serve with popp'in bisquits. Very simple"
"sorry for typing errors but you can deciper. donna"
"sorry for typing errors.....I add onions and frozen vegetables donna41"
"I've been doing this kind of soup for years. I don't add beef broth because as I brown ground beef I ann the onions and celery. Then add 5 cups of water. Bring to a low simmer then add a 1 lb. bag of froven mixed gegetables and cook till vege. are cooked. You make soup or you can thicken with water and flour for a stew. Add potato cubes instead of barley."
"is it necessary to use the peppercorns ? will it change the flavor of the soup if not used?"
"I can't wait to try this. It sounds great.Thanks for sharing."
"I hate tomatoes, can I leave them out?"
"just omit the barley, that won't make any difference.Packrmom"
"I need to make this recipe gluten free what can I use instead of barley?"