Easy Hamburger Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Add celery, carrots, barley, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- 3. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Let stand 5 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 227 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 762 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.