- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth and water. Add celery and carrots.
- Place peppercorns on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to beef mixture. Stir in thyme and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Return to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes. Discard spice bag. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Easy Hamburger Soup
Sort By :
This soup is delicious! I add a little garlic because I love it. I add ground peppercorns to taste instead of using whole ones. I top the soup when serving with shredded reduced fat cheddar to get cheeseburger soup. It is awesome and my family loves it.
Very yummy and easy to make. Really enjoyed this recipe.
i would cook it in a slowcooker.
I've been making this for the past 4 years and it never fails to please me! I make exactly as the recipe reads except I use regular barley and add it when the vegetables are simmering for 45 minutes. I also use my tea infuser ball to hold the peppercorns instead of cheesecloth.
this is a great soup, I added some green peppers from our garden and it was great.Im sharing this with my kids(4)