- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- 8 slices process American cheese
- 2 baby dill pickles, sliced
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, relish and brown sugar. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon over hamburger bun halves. Cut each slice of cheese diagonally. Cut one piece diagonally again. Use two smaller triangles as eyes and large triangle as mouth. Put 1 slice pickle on each eye. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forEasy Halloween Sloppy Joes
"My mother made a very similar recipe. It has yellow mustard in place of the relish. make these, shut the heat off for half hour or so, turn the heat back on and let the sugars carmelize. .. oh boy.. the flavor is out of this world! This is the key step.Be careful though, the will burn very easily. I've made them for crowds and am always asked for the recipe. Enjoy!"
"My son was making fun of this while I was making it and I doubled the recipe and we ate it two nights in a row. It is sweet, but not too sweet. We all LOVED IT!!"
"tried this recipe but thought it was way to sweet. I make my sloppy Joes with ketchup and that is sweet enough. I also add peppers, celery and onion to my recipe so that might make the difference"
"liked it and almost all of the other variations"
"my hubby always thought my sloppy joe's was the ticket....tasted yours yesterday and said this had to be the best! I did add some worchestershire sauce and 2 drops of liquid smoke....."
"I made the recipe exactly as stated and they turned out excellent. They were not too sweet as other reviewers thought they would be. They were perfect. My family loved them. They are very unique. I made a second batch and added the 8 slices of cheese to it while cooking so it melted within and it turned out wonderfully also. This recipe deserves 10 stars!~ EXCELLENT RECIPE!!!"
"I should have followed my instincts, which said,"Too sweet!!!!" With the sweet pickle relish & then that much sugar, I didn't like this at all. in fact,some of it might go outside to the "critters". Sorry"
"My family loved it. Especially since it looked like a jack o'lantern face. Would make again!"