Easy Grilled Flank Steak Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced or 3/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first nine ingredients. Score the surface of the beef, making diamond shapes 1/4 in. deep; place in bag. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 3. Let stand for 5 minutes; thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 4 servings.
3 ounces cooked beef equals 205 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 179 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.