Easy Gingerbread Cutouts
"I rely on this tried-and-true recipe during the holidays," relates Sandy McKenzie of Braham, Minnesota. "The cream cheese frosting complements the cookies' gingery flavor and sets up nicely for easy packaging and stacking."
15 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 cup canned cream cheese frosting, slightly warmed
- Red-hot candies
- In a bowl, combine the cake mix, flour, eggs, oil, molasses and
- ginger until well blended. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy
- to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with
- lightly floured 5-in. cookie cutters. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased
- baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 7-10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottom
- is lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate with
- cream cheese frosting as desired. Use red-hots for eyes, nose and
- buttons. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 302 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 302 mg sodium,