"I rely on this tried-and-true recipe during the holidays," relates Sandy McKenzie of Braham, Minnesota. "The cream cheese frosting complements the cookies' gingery flavor and sets up nicely for easy packaging and stacking."
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 cup canned cream cheese frosting, slightly warmed
- Red-hot candies
- In a bowl, combine the cake mix, flour, eggs, oil, molasses and ginger until well blended. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with lightly floured 5-in. cookie cutters. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 7-10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottom is lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate with cream cheese frosting as desired. Use red-hots for eyes, nose and buttons. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Easy Gingerbread Cutouts in Quick Cooking November/December 1999, p22
Reviews for Easy Gingerbread Cutouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review