There's plenty of garden goodness in every bowl of this fresh-tasting soup that Marlene Muckenhirn dishes up in Delano, Minnesota. Served chilled, it's perfect for a summer meal.
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. + chilling
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped and divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup fat-free croutons
- In a blender, combine the tomato juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt,
- hot pepper sauce and half of the tomatoes; cover and process until
- smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the onion, cucumber, green pepper and remaining tomatoes. Cover
- and refrigerate for 4 hours or until chilled. Garnish with croutons.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 203 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 285 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 vegetable, 2 fat.