Easy Fruited Wild Rice Pilaf
Her savory rice side dish has become a favorite with family and friends, writes Carolyn Keith from Evanston, Illinois. Studded with golden raisins, dried cherries and nuts, it goes together in no time using a convenient rice mix and dresses up a variety of main dishes.
5 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup golden raisins and cherries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Add rice mix with contents of seasoning packet; stir to coat.
- Stir in the broth, fruit and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 24-28 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and
- rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in pecans. Cover and let stand for 5
- minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 281 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 730 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.