This simple cake, which is my mother's recipe, stays moist for quite a while. In was always my favorite at harvesttime when I was a child. -Muriel Jones, Hythe, Alberta
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 teaspoons milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking soda, allspice and salt. Beat in vegetable oil. (Batter will be stiff.) Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in carrots.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes our clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread over cake. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts if desired. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Cake in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p298
Reviews for Easy Frosted Carrot Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review