Easy Cuban Picadillo
“My girlfriend gave me this delicious recipe years ago. I’ve made it ever since for family and friends, and they all love it. My daughter says it’s the best dish I make and loves to take leftovers to school for lunch the next day.” —Marie Wielgus, Wayne, New Jersey
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, pepper and onion over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato
- sauce, olives, raisins and vinegar. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until
- raisins are plumped. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup picadillo with 1/2 cup rice equals 354 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 697 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.