Easy Colcannon Recipe
This tasty and traditional Irish recipe for buttery potatoes and cabbage is good any time of year. —Pam Kennedy, Lubbock, Texas
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 7-1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender, adding the cabbage during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine green onions and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until onions are soft.
- 3. Drain potato mixture. Mash with milk mixture, butter, salt and pepper. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 131 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC