- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 7-1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender, adding the cabbage during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine green onions and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Drain potato mixture. Mash with milk mixture, butter, salt and pepper. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Easy Colcannon
"I used whole milk and regular butter. We loved it!"
"I love colcannon! I must admit that I did not try this as written. Reading the recipe and some of the reviews, I worried that it would be too "soupy", so I instead of boiling the cabbage, I sauteed it in a large skillet with a bit of olive oil and butter. I also seasoned the cabbage with Montreal seasoning as it cooked. The cabbage cooks way down, so don't worry that it will be too much. After mashing the potatoes with 3/4 cup of whole milk (instead of 1 cup fat-free milk), salt and pepper, I stirred in the cooked cabbage. Yummy!"
"Made this for St. Patrick's day meal and the family absolutely loved it. Combining the potatoes and cabbage is so much better than preparing them individually. It's a keeper!!"
"I made this recipe last St. Patrick's Day and will have it on the menu again this year! It was very tasty. I used regular butter and whole milk. A definite St. Patty's Day keeper!"
"This is so good! I use the leftovers from my traditional St. Pattie's day dinner and add some corned beef cut into bite sized pieces to this Colconnon recipe. Wonderful meal even if I say so myself! LOL!"
"Easy to make & very good. Going to add just a little less pepper next time."
"Very good recipe. Great way to use up cabbage. Creamy and chunky. Will be making again."
"I would definitely make this again! It was delicious! Super easy!"
"I would peel the potatoes next time and maybe add a little less butter. Everything else is excellent!"
"The chef who cooks at the steakhouse in our town likes cabbage so last St. Patrick's Day I made this Colcannon. He prides himself on his cooking being the best but he ate and ate and told his friend that he could founder himself on that dish. Coming from him, that is very high praise! It is so easy to make and goes well with any kind of meat. Great dish!"