- 1-1/2 pounds medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 7-1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender, adding the cabbage during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine green onions and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Drain potato mixture. Mash with milk mixture, butter, salt and pepper. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Easy Colcannon(9)
Sort By :
Easy to make & very good. Going to add just a little less pepper next time.
Very good recipe. Great way to use up cabbage. Creamy and chunky. Will be making again.
I would definitely make this again! It was delicious! Super easy!
I would peel the potatoes next time and maybe add a little less butter. Everything else is excellent!
The chef who cooks at the steakhouse in our town likes cabbage so last St. Patrick's Day I made this Colcannon. He prides himself on his cooking being the best but he ate and ate and told his friend that he could founder himself on that dish. Coming from him, that is very high praise! It is so easy to make and goes well with any kind of meat. Great dish!
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Irish Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Mashed Potato Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >