- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gradually stir about 1 cup of hot mixture into beaten eggs. Return all to saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until nearly boiling. Reduce heat; cook and stir about 2 minutes more (do not boil). Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup coconut, butter and vanilla. Pour into pie shell; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Chill for several hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Easy Coconut Cream Pie
"Recipe did not work. Custard did not set in the refrigerator. Not sure what I did wrong. Any ideas about how I might fix it?"
"This pie was delicious. i made it as given except substituted heavy whipping cream for the milk. (Took much less time to thicken using the heavy whipping cream) it stands on its own--you don't need to top with any meringue or whip cream"
"This is pretty much the recipe I use for all of my cream pies (adjusting different flavors, of course) with only a couple of changes. Reduce the flour to 2 tablespoons and add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Gives a smoother texture to the pudding. I also separate the eggs and only add the yolks to the pudding. I use the whites for meringue. I sprinkle 1/4 c coconut on the filling, top with meringue and sprinkle remaining coconut on top. Place under broiler until golden brown. (Watch closely! It can burn in a heartbeat! Ask me how I know.) Even if you follow the recipe as written, you will have a delicious pie! The changes I made are due to the methods I learned while earning my Masters in Pastry Arts."
"This recipe did not work for me at all. The flour milk ratio is not right. It should not take a half hour to thicken. Burnt my favorite pan after all that. Lost a half an hour scrubbing."
"Delicious and easy even for a first time"
"I liked it but like to make the creamier filling."
"This recipe looks beautiful in the picture!"
"You can make this pie filling in the microwave in 7 minutes! Very same results!"
"This is a very good pie, and keeps well, however it is a very old recipe thatI have used for years as far back as the 70s......"
"It is a great pie, which the poster has been making since the 40's. Maybe the cookbooks came after, because of HER recipe!"