Easy Coconut Cream Pie
This is my own recipe for a pie that I make often. It's been a family-favorite dessert since the '40s, when I made several of these pies to serve a threshing crew of 21 men!
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk;
- cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat;
- gradually stir about 1 cup of hot mixture into beaten eggs. Return
- all to saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until nearly
- boiling. Reduce heat; cook and stir about 2 minutes more (do not
- boil). Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup coconut, butter and
- vanilla. Pour into pie shell; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Chill
- for several hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 389 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.