Easy Clam Chowder
This recipe comes from an old college friend. Pair steaming bowlfuls with sourdough bread and a green salad. —Kristy Doty, Riverside, California
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 3 cups diced unpeeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until
- crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain,
- reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute onions
- until tender.
- Drain clams, reserving juice. Set clams aside. Add the potatoes, clam
- juice and broth to the onions. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes
- or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the clams, soup, milk, cream,
- salt, pepper and bacon; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 277 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 909 mg sodium,