Easy Clam Chowder Recipe
This recipe comes from an old college friend. Pair steaming bowlfuls with sourdough bread and a green salad. —Kristy Doty, Riverside, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 3 cups diced unpeeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute onions until tender.
- 2. Drain clams, reserving juice. Set clams aside. Add the potatoes, clam juice and broth to the onions. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the clams, soup, milk, cream, salt, pepper and bacon; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 277 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 909 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC