Easy Chow Mein
Our daughter welcomed me home from a hospital stay some years ago with this Asian dish and a copy of the recipe. Now that I'm a widow, I freeze leftovers for fast future meals. - Kay Bade, Mitchell, South Dakota
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, sliced
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) Chinese vegetables, drained
- 2 envelopes brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in
- the celery, Chinese vegetables, gravy mixes and soy sauce. Cover and
- cook on low for 4-6 hours or until celery is tender, stirring
- occasionally. Serve over rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Purchase celery with crisp, firm and unblemished ribs and fresh green leaves. Refrigerate celery in a plastic bag for up to 2 weeks. Wash and trim the base and leaves just before serving.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 361 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 897 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or