Easy Chicken Tamale Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook chicken over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Stir in seasonings.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, green onions and cilantro. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over chicken mixture. Cook, covered, on low 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until a toothpick inserted in corn bread layer comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with cheese; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. If desired, serve with toppings. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Easy Chicken Tamale Pie(21)
Sort By :
This was very good. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the ground chicken. I placed the chicken in the bottom of the crock, then added the spices and the remaining ingredients. I also added 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne for little more heat. We have now made this recipe twice. This is a keeper for us also. Thanks TOH!!!
We really loved this and it was so easy. I did it on a day I was home from work, but I could see browning the meat the night before, then putting it all together in the morning and starting the cornbread part when I get home.
Fast (prep time), easy and delicious! I made a couple of personal substitutions--Boca burger crumbles that I had on hand (I cut the cooker time by about half, I think), and a can of hominy for the corn. If you are what you eat, then I'm fast, cheap, and easy, and this fits that description wonderfully.
Very yummy and very easy! Loved this recipe! I made the cornbread mix with two eggs as recipe advised but also added 1/3 cup of milk. Might add creamed corn to bread mix for a different taste next time I make it.
Loved this! Super easy and yummy.. especially the day after. I used diced tomatoes with green chiles for an extra kick. I think I'll throw in some jalapenos next time as well. I did sprinkle a layer of cheese before adding the cornbread mix (as suggested below) and it was delish!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easy Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Chicken Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Corn Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >