- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook chicken over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Stir in seasonings.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, green onions and cilantro. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over chicken mixture. Cook, covered, on low 1-1-1/2 hours longer or until a toothpick inserted in corn bread layer comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with cheese; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. If desired, serve with toppings. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Easy Chicken Tamale Pie
"Don't know what I did wrong, but I followed the recipe exctly! Mine turned out pretty bland. Won't be trying trying this again."
"This is oh so yummy! Great slow cooker recipe!!!!!"
"Made this recipe last night while camping-INCREDIBLE!"
"My whole family loved it and it was easy."
"This was certainly quick and easy recipe for lazy days of summer or any other times. Very good recipe, but I did have to up the spices a little more after tasting the dish throughout it's cooking time. Thanks for sharing."
"Delicious! However I did not use a slow cooker. I just baked in oven on 375 until the cornbread was done."
"This was very good. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the ground chicken. I placed the chicken in the bottom of the crock, then added the spices and the remaining ingredients. I also added 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne for little more heat. We have now made this recipe twice. This is a keeper for us also. Thanks TOH!!!"