- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook chicken over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Stir in seasonings.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, green onions and cilantro. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over chicken mixture. Cook, covered, on low 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until a toothpick inserted in corn bread layer comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with cheese; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. If desired, serve with toppings. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Easy Chicken Tamale Pie
Sort By :
This was certainly quick and easy recipe for lazy days of summer or any other times. Very good recipe, but I did have to up the spices a little more after tasting the dish throughout it's cooking time. Thanks for sharing.
Delicious! However I did not use a slow cooker. I just baked in oven on 375 until the cornbread was done.
This was very good. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the ground chicken. I placed the chicken in the bottom of the crock, then added the spices and the remaining ingredients. I also added 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne for little more heat. We have now made this recipe twice. This is a keeper for us also. Thanks TOH!!!
We really loved this and it was so easy. I did it on a day I was home from work, but I could see browning the meat the night before, then putting it all together in the morning and starting the cornbread part when I get home.
Fast (prep time), easy and delicious! I made a couple of personal substitutions--Boca burger crumbles that I had on hand (I cut the cooker time by about half, I think), and a can of hominy for the corn. If you are what you eat, then I'm fast, cheap, and easy, and this fits that description wonderfully.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easy Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Chicken Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Corn Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >