Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 slices fully cooked ham
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter for 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry sheet into a 12-in. square. Cut into four 6-in. squares. Place a chicken breast in the center of each square; top with cheese and ham.
- Whisk egg and water; lightly brush over pastry edges. Bring two sides of pastry over chicken, overlapping one over the other; press seams to seal. Pinch together ends and fold under.
- Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; brush tops with egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu(10)
Sort By :
To VirginiaCA, the 2nd rule is to check your spelling before you pick on someone else
There are 2 sheets of puff pastry in a box. The recipe states to roll EACH sheet into a 12" square and cut into four 6" squares. According to my kitchen math, this will give you 8 rectangles for the 8 chicken breasts. The first rule of thumb is cooking is to read the recipe CAREFULLY and then you'll get your answer almost all the time. Of course, they're are exceptions with badly written recipes.
I have a picky man and 5 year old twins, and this was a HUGE hit with everyone!! I would recommend not allowing the pastry out for the 40 minutes suggested on the box. It was much easier to separate and work with while it was still cold, but not frozen. I added pepperjack cheese to one, which was just as great. I partially cooked my chicken on the grill before wrapping in the pastry. I will definitely make this again!! =)
Easy and REALLY good!
I've made a similar recipe many times that my family loves; it originally called for spreading a bit of mustard on the puff pastry to add flavor, but instead of that I spread about 1-2 T of softened chive and onion flavored cream cheese - really adds great flavor and creaminess. I also find if I wrap the ham around the cheese that helps to hold it in there without melting out. There are two sheets of puff pastry per box, so yes, you would make 8 wraps total.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Ham >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Cordon Bleu >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >