Easy Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and Italian seasoning. Add chicken, a few at a time; seal and shake to coat. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 1 teaspoon oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
- 2. In same skillet, cook onion in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and zucchini; cook until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and salt. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Return chicken to skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-14 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Serve chicken mixture with spaghetti. Yield: 6 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup sauce and 1 cup spaghetti equals 366 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 931 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.