- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2/3 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute celery and carrots for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, chicken, poultry seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- For dumplings, combine biscuit mix and milk. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Sort By :
"I used this recipe as my guide, hence the 3 star rating. I used 6 chicken breasts, bone and skin still on, and cooked that in 2 boxes of low sodium chicken stock, seasoned with poultry seasoning, rosemary, and a healthy dose of freshly ground pepper. I let that cook for 2 hours, removing the chicken to let cool. I then removed the bones and skins, and cut it. I saut?ed an onion in EVOO and a little salt, adding 3 minced garlic gloves in the last 30 seconds. I dumped that in my pot, added more EVOO into my cast iron skillet and threw in the carrots and celery, and some salt...I always use sea salt. I carmelized those....it added a wonderful flavor! When those were cooking, I wanted to thicken the broth, so I used flour and a little milk, adding in a little of the hot broth so it wouldn't clump. After I stirred that in, I added the carrots and celery. I'm not a fan of Bisquick, actually I've never used it....homemade, from scratch is how I was taught. I made buttermilk dumplings. 2 C. All purpose flour, 4 tsp. baking powder, 4 tsp. sugar, 1tsp. salt, 2 eggs, 1/2 C. buttermilk and 1/4 C. melted butter. Stir your dry in 1 bowl, wet in another, mix them together and drop by tablespoons onto the hot simmering liquid. Cover for 20 minutes, check with a toothpick for doneness. It's been awhile since I made chicken and dumplings.....these were the BEST chicken and dumplings I've ever made!"
"This was very easy and very tasty. I had always used biscuits cut in fourths for dumplings . These were much better . Followed recipe except didn't add carrots ( personal preference)"
"I use thawed frozen mixed veggies instead of the carrots and celery. I have also made it using cream of chicken soup instead of broth. Very rich and easy."
"Tired this and making it a lot we love it and it is so tasty and easy to make I added tarragon for extra flavor and makes a difference is so good my husband loves it added tarragon to the dumplings also, you must try this"
"First time I made Dumplings! Turn out Great! Thanks!"