Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Perfect for autumn nights, this main course is speedy, low in fat and a delicious one-dish meal. -Nancy Tuck of Elk Falls, Kansas
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2/3 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute celery and carrots
- for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, chicken, poultry seasoning and
- pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- For dumplings, combine biscuit mix and milk. Drop by tablespoonfuls
- onto simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover
- while simmering). Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup chicken mixture with 3 dumplings equals 282 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,022 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.