Easy Cherry Strudels Recipe
“My family loves this. It's on the table every Christmas morning and it travels so well to ladies brunches at our church. The original called for individual filo leaves and was very time consuming. Once, by mistake, I bought the puff pastry sheets and found that it was much faster.” Susan Dancy - Tallahassee, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. Drain cherries, reserving 1/3 cup juice. In a large saucepan, combine the cherries, sugar, cranberries and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Combine cornstarch and reserved juice and add to the pan. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts.
- 2. Unfold one pastry sheet and cut in half. Mound half of the cherry mixture on one pastry half to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining pastry half; pinch edges to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- 3. Place on a greased foil-lined baking sheet. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits into tops of strudels; brush with egg. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 strudels (5 slices each).
1 slice equals 506 calories, 25 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC