Easy Cherry Strudels Recipe
“My family loves this. It's on the table every Christmas morning and it travels so well to ladies brunches at our church. The original called for individual filo leaves and was very time consuming. Once, by mistake, I bought the puff pastry sheets and found that it was much faster.” Susan Dancy - Tallahassee, Florida
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/3 cup juice. In a large saucepan, combine the cherries, sugar, cranberries and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Combine cornstarch and reserved juice and add to the pan. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts.
- Unfold one pastry sheet and cut in half. Mound half of the cherry mixture on one pastry half to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining pastry half; pinch edges to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- Place on a greased foil-lined baking sheet. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits into tops of strudels; brush with egg. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 strudels (5 slices each).
Originally published as Easy Cherry Strudels in Simple & Delicious November/December 2008, p15
Reviews for Easy Cherry Strudels(3)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 2, 2013
This is an amazing recipe. Delicious. Best cherry dessert I have ever made or tasted!
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2010
Tasty, quick and easy. Everyone really enjoyed these rich pastries.
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2009
Easy to make and very good. I cooked the filling while I was making dinner, not difficult.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Dried Cranberry Recipes >
- Mother's Day Pastry Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >