These cream cheese pastries are baked to flaky perfection and made to shine with a simple egg wash gloss. They taste just as decadent as any breakfast sensation you’d find in a bakery or coffee shop.—Carole Sepstead, Grafton, Wisconsin
Recommended: Breakfast Ideas for People Who Don't Like Eggs
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks, lemon peel, vanilla and salt; beat on low speed until blended.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each sheet of puff pastry into a 12-in. square. Cut each into nine squares. Spoon 2-1/2 teaspoons of cheese mixture into the center of each square.
- Whisk egg and water; lightly brush over edges. Bring two opposite corners of pastry over filling; pinch to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Easy Cheese Danish in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p77
Reviews for Easy Cheese Danish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 6, 2012
"Brought these to our annual Easter Family Brunch and everyone loved them! People kept talking about these and couldn't believe they were homemade. You will not regret making these. I hope to make them often. Thanks so much for this recipe."