During haying season, I bake this in my convection oven, which turns itself automatically. That way, dinner is ready and waiting when we walk in the door.—Cindy Covey, Heuvelton, New York
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 hoagie rolls (about 6 inches long)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, basil and
- oregano; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice each roll lengthwise 1/2 in. from the top; set tops
- aside. Hollow out rolls to 1/2 in. of bottom and sides; discard.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons cheese into each roll; spoon the meat sauce
- evenly into rolls. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Replace tops of
- Wrap each roll individually in foil. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes
- or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 477 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 758 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 34 g protein.