- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) herb or cheese bakery bread, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with sausage; sprinkle with cheese. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and mustard. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Easy Breakfast Strata
Sort By :
"This is my go-to breakfast for houseguests staying for holidays. Feeds many, everyone loves it and it's super easy. Reheats well. I've used Mexican blend cheese, cheddar or pepper jack, prefer red pepper to green, and my favorite bread is a rosemary and olive oil crusty loaf sold at my grocery store. It turns out great each time. And, yes, two cups milk to six eggs; not sure what could have gone wrong for Anchatra52 as it's seems so foolproof to me. Also, I've often forgotten to make it until the morning I want to serve it and it still turns out great, just give it some time for the bread to soak up the egg mixture."
"Disgusting mess. It is a waste of good ingredients! 2 cups milk to 6 eggs, really?"
"1 1/2 cups of cubed ham can be used instead of sausage. I also used a Cheddar & Green Chile bread I found at the local grocery store. Prefer for company!"
"substitute the mustard for 1/3 cup of maple syrup! YUM!"
"I have been making this for a long time and my family loves it. Cut down baking time by spooning it in muffins tins. Easier to use leftovers next day by warming in microwave for a quick breakfast."