Walking on egg shells first thing in the morning is so, well, not a good start to the day. That's why making breakfast the night before (and cleaning it up) is a brilliant plan. Breakfast Strata changes easily when you switch to brown-and-serve sausage links, diced cooked ham or diced cooked bacon. Use Swiss or Monterey Jack if you're not a cheddar fan, and bread variations from herbed breads to sourdough. —Debbie Johnson, Centertown, Missouri
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) herb or cheese bakery bread, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with sausage; sprinkle with cheese. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and mustard. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Easy Breakfast Strata in Taste of Home February/March 2012, p81
Reviews for Easy Breakfast Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review