Easy Bread Squares Recipe
There's no kneading or rolling out dough in this extra-easy yeast recipe. I like to serve generous slices alongside spaghetti.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12-15 servings
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Melted butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add water and shortening. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- 2. Stir dough down. Spread evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Brush with melted butter. Cut into squares. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 125 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC