- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add water and shortening. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir dough down. Spread evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Brush with melted butter. Cut into squares. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Easy Bread Squares in Best of Country Breads 2000, p42
Reviews for Easy Bread Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2009
Excellent recipe! I've made this twice now and it disappears immediately.
Today I brushed it with eggwhite/water and sprinkled poppy seeds on top prior to baking... YUM! Especially good with soft-boiled eggs.