Easy Bran Muffins
Peggy Reed of Vergennes, Vermont says her granddaughter Kelsey has always loved cooking. At age 4, Kelsey entered Bran Muffins in a baking contest. “The recipe Kelsey used is great for kids. The ingredients are measured in whole amounts,” Peggy explains. “It makes a lot of batter, but it can be stored in the refrigerator so the muffins can be made in batches.” By the way, Peggy also entered muffin
60-72 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 15 min.
- 6 cups bran cereal (not flakes)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart buttermilk
- Combine cereal and water; let stand 10 minutes. In a bowl, cream
- butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after
- each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed
- mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in cereal mixture. Fill
- greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400°
- for 15-20 minutes. Yield: 5-6 dozen.
Editor's Note: Batter may be stored covered in refrigerator for 6 weeks; do not stir. Bake as directed.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 109 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 177 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.