- 20 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1 large egg
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce, divided
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions to al dente; drain and rinse in cold water. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, 1-1/2 cups Italian cheese blend, Parmesan cheese, pesto, egg and half of the beef mixture.
- Spread 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce into a greased 13-in x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon cheese mixture into pasta shells; place in baking dish. Combine remaining beef mixture and spaghetti sauce; pour over shells. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Easy Beef-Stuffed Shells
"Excellent dish!! I don't usually change anything when I try a new recipe, but this time I realized last minute that I was all out of Parmesan cheese. I substituted Poor Man's Parmesan, a recipe I found on the internet, and it turned out great! I just thought I would share that with everyone. Next time though, I will use Parmesan cheese, unless someone empties mine again :)"
"Delicious! The pesto is really good in the filling. I used lower fat ricotta and it worked fine. This recipe makes a lot, but it reheats well if you have leftovers."
"Good old comfort food. I made 20 and still had a bit to spare."
"We liked the addition of pesto sauce. I used 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef and one hot sausage link. I only used 1/2 of the amount of the cheeses. It filled 18 shells."
"Loved this! I prepared it on Sunday so we could just throw it in the oven after work on Monday. It was wonderful and it goes in my Favorites!"