Easy Beef Goulash Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 1/8-inch-thick strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, stir-fry beef in oil for 4-5 minutes or meat is no longer pink. Add onion and green pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, water, broth, vinegar and seasonings. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth. Add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 272 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 371 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.