Easy Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, mushrooms, celery and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the carrots, potato, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Whisk in milk and tomato paste; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
1-3/4 cup: 317 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 753mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 21g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Easy Beef Barley Soup
"An Autumn/Winter core recipe!! Soo good. I followed it to the T, except didnt have barley so I researched substitutes, and used wild rice and red beans instead. Still produced that hearty nutty taste!"
"Delicious, unique and healthy! My new favorite soup!"
"I have made this recipe many times since I initially found it about 8 months ago. I probably made it at least once or twice a month last winter. Very delicious! I use ground turkey rather than ground beef."
"Kids described it as Cheeseburger soup! It was a winner at our house and went into my great recipes file! :)"
"simple, cheap and healthy. We all liked it."
"We thought this was great, but it need more barley. Also I didn't use the milk or tomatoe paste at the end. My husband wants it again."
"This soup was so good. Would make it again."
"We really enjoyed this on a cold wintery day, however I made several adjustments including omitting mushrooms (didn't have any), adding dried parsley, garlic and a bay leaf. I also didn't have any barley so I used 1/2 c quinoa and omitted tomato paste and evaporated milk. I just cooked the quinoa for about 12 min after adding it to the boiling soup. Yum!"
"My husband and i loved this recipe. i did add more mushrooms. There didnt seem to be enought for us."
"I made it with a few adjustments - 1 lb. ground beef, more tomato paste, and no carrots. Also used an 8 oz. pkg of sliced mushrooms. TWO mushrooms??? Really??? Was that a typo??? I will make it again with my changes."
"Great recipe, I added more veggies and garlic too. Omitted the tomato paste (didn't have any on hand.) My husband doesn't usually care for barley but this got a thumbs up from him and my son."
"Great recipe. We live more veggies so I doubled the carrots & celery then added some garlic. Next time I'll double this for leftovers!"
"This was really easy and so satisfying. I'm not a fan of mushrooms and I didn't mind them in this creamy soup!"
"Very good recipe. I like to make a lot of soup so I added double of everything. And instead of flour I added brown gravy dry mix-very good"