- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, mushrooms, celery and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the carrots, potato, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Whisk in milk and tomato paste; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Easy Beef Barley Soup
Sort By :
I have made this recipe many times since I initially found it about 8 months ago. I probably made it at least once or twice a month last winter. Very delicious! I use ground turkey rather than ground beef.
Kids described it as Cheeseburger soup! It was a winner at our house and went into my great recipes file! :)
simple, cheap and healthy. We all liked it.
We thought this was great, but it need more barley. Also I didn't use the milk or tomatoe paste at the end. My husband wants it again.
This soup was so good. Would make it again.