- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, mushrooms, celery and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the carrots, potato, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Whisk in milk and tomato paste; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Easy Beef Barley Soup
Sort By :
"An Autumn/Winter core recipe!! Soo good. I followed it to the T, except didnt have barley so I researched substitutes, and used wild rice and red beans instead. Still produced that hearty nutty taste!"
"Delicious, unique and healthy! My new favorite soup!"
"I have made this recipe many times since I initially found it about 8 months ago. I probably made it at least once or twice a month last winter. Very delicious! I use ground turkey rather than ground beef."
"Kids described it as Cheeseburger soup! It was a winner at our house and went into my great recipes file! :)"
"simple, cheap and healthy. We all liked it."