“This soup is really easy and takes very little time to put together. You can serve it for a leftover lunch or for supper with homemade bread, which I do on occasion.” Carole Lanthier - Courtice, Ontario
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, mushrooms, celery and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the carrots, potato, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Whisk in milk and tomato paste; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Easy Beef Barley Soup in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008, p33
Reviews for Easy Beef Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review