Easy Beans & Potatoes with Bacon Recipe
I love the combination of green beans with bacon, so I created this recipe. It's great for when you have company because you can start the side dish in the slow cooker and continue preparing the rest of your dinner.—Barbara Brittain, Santee, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:10 servings
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (1/2-inch)
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Cover and refrigerate bacon until serving.
- 2. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in reserved drippings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in bacon; heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 116 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC