Easy Barbecued Pork Chops
This is my favorite "penny pincher" skillet supper. Sweet red peppers add color and flavor to this main dish, but when I'm watching our budget, I use less expensive green peppers. —Jorie Welch of Acworth, Georgia
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown pork chops in oil over medium-high
- heat. Remove chops and keep warm. Add green pepper, celery and onion
- to the skillet; cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften.
- Return pork chops to the pan. In a bowl, combine the ketchup, brown
- sugar, broth and chili powder. Pour over chops and vegetables. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until
- meat is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pork chop with 1/3 cup sauce equals 312 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 867 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.